Friday, July 4, 2008

Family bond

Tonight will be the most memorable night for me because of whatever happened. The bond never felt so strong and I really hope that things will turn out better. People do mistakes...I mean...no one is perfect in this world. We are supposed to realize our mistakes and rectify them to become a better person. I make mistakes too. There were times when I don't even realize that my behavior and verbal actions hurt the persons closest to me. It took me years to finally realize that I have not been a 'good' sister. But...what I learned through my experiences is....honesty is the best policy.

At first, I didn't know how to voice out, to advice or tell another person off because...I, myself, is imperfect. Mistakes I did that I never realized until somebody tells you. Then, your brain will receives the signals that you hurt the feelings of a loved one. Deep down, I love the people closest to me and I will protect and stand up for them in state of emergency. Being the eldest of a single-mother-family is not easy. The young will look up to you and follow your every footsteps (that is why I mentioned that I have not been a 'good' sister). Today, I think....I did at least a quarter (or best...less than a quarter) patching things up.


Family is made up of a group of family affiliated by consanguinity, affinity, and co-residence. A sibling is a brother or sister; that is, one who shares the same parent. Siblings usually grow up together and spend a good deal of their childhood with each other. This genetic and physical closeness may be marked by the development of strong emotional associations such as love and enmity. The sibling bond is often complicated and is influenced by factors such as parental treatment, birth order, personality, people and experiences outside of the family.
Quote from Wikipedia.com


In our case, I would say that it is the last 3 factors. What I believe is....the most important thing to keep the sibling bond strong is...never to keep secrets or feelings from each other. There may be misunderstandings but it will be better to clear them up before it turns complicated. 'Sorry' may be the hardest word BUT it is a strong word to mend relationships between people with a touch of sincerity. There will always be boundaries to test the strength of a bond. I am sure.....our sibling bond has so far, passed the tests.

To speak up, spill out the emotional feelings, dissatisfaction; to explain, clarify, clear all doubts; to make up with a simple 'sorry', hugs between siblings; were the most touching thing that happened.
I asked.....
"If the foundation is shaken just by a small earthquake, will the bond still be strong?"
It is not a matter of any one of the siblings breaking the family up....because intentionally or un-intentionally, things will be settled when either one understands and wants to change.
Just like they said.....
"It only takes 3 days to be bad, but it takes 3 years to be good."
I will always remember this quote because changing to be a better person is never an easy job. It takes determination, patience and most importantly, TIME.
I had never spoken to my siblings in such a mature manner and acting as the 'BIG' sister. I was afraid but....I know that deep down, they respect me as one. No matter what, I feel blessed having them in my life; my stubborn brother and annoying little sister.
We hugged each other with tears rolling down our cheeks. It had been a long, long time since we ever expressed our feelings out like this. I guess....as you grow older, you just have more things to do and never bothers about family time. I still remember when we used to dance to the 70's and 80's songs in my room; doing silly moves, singing loudly-but-out-of-tune-tone and laughing our arses off, acting as Mr. Bean, impersonating comedians and recording them with our camera-phones. Those were valuable moments that I hope none of the siblings will forget.

CHERISH THE LOVED ONES AROUND YOU,
LIFE IS SHORT,
YOU'LL NEVER KNOW WHAT MAY HAPPEN.



No comments: